While a traditional pumpkin pie makes a delicious dessert, there’s something extra special about this triple-layer pumpkin cream cheese pie recipe. The best part? It's easy to make!
Disclosure: We may recommend products we like through affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small commission at no cost to you (see our full disclaimer). Thank you for your support!
Table of Contents
🥧 The three layers of Pumpkin Cream Pie
Imagine a classic pumpkin pie. Now, imagine a layer of smooth, fluffy pumpkin cream cheese mousse with all the flavors of fall. Finally, top it with a generous supply of super thick and decadent whipped cream.
The result? A triple-layer pumpkin pie that’s even more delicious than it looks! Each flavorful layer melds together into the creamiest bite. It's perfect for serving at Thanksgiving or any holiday party.
The three layers create an extraordinary dessert that your guests won't forget. At my former Amycakes Bakery we even converted people who did not like pumpkin pie after they tried this pumpkin cream pie!
Pies can be intimidating to make from scratch, but once your creation is ready, it's worth every second of effort. I've also included an optional shortcut that starts with a store-bought pumpkin pie if you just want to spend less time in front of your oven.
To make this delicious pumpkin cream cheese pie, you will need to refer to the recipe card for all of the details. But I do want to mention a few of the key ingredients!
The Pumpkin Pie Layer is a traditional pumpkin pie made with canned pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, and delicious spices. The Pumpkin Cream Cheese Mousse starts with whipped cream cheese, pumpkin puree and cinnamon.
Then we make our thick and stable Vanilla Whipped Cream (optionally stabilized with my favorite bakery ingredient, Instant Clearjel).
Fold part of the whipped cream into the fluffy pumpkin cream cheese mousse, using the remaining whipped cream on top of the pie. If you don't have Instant Clearjel, you can make this pie without it as detailed in the recipe card.
👩🏻🍳 A Premade Pumpkin Pie Shortcut
While the pumpkin pie layer linked in this recipe is delicious and simple to prepare, it's understandable that you might not have enough time to prepare it during the holidays.
If you’re looking for a shortcut, reach for a store-bought pumpkin pie. Once you top it with the creamy homemade pumpkin mousse and whipped cream in this recipe, your guests may never know.
I'd recommend using a 9" or 10" prepared pumpkin pie, or you can even use several mini pumpkin pies and divide the pumpkin mousse and whipped cream among them. Just be sure to allow your mousse and whipped cream to set up on your pie in the fridge for at least a couple of hours.
📺 Recipe Video
This delicious pumpkin cream cheese pie recipe first appeared on my bakery recipe blog, but I wanted to share it here because it's the ultimate Thanksgiving pie! Watch me make it in the quick recipe video below.
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
You can make the pumpkin pie layer two days before serving. One day before serving, you can make the pumpkin cream cheese mousse and the whipped cream and assemble the pie.
Refrigerate the completed pumpkin cream pie overnight in a pie box or a container that is not air-tight to avoid a soggy crust.
For the pie to have distinguished layers like my photos, allow the pumpkin cream cheese pie to set up in the fridge at least 2 hours before serving. I prefer to finish making mine the day before serving.
I used to make this pie without Instant Clearjel before discovering the awesome thickener. I recommend using 3 Tablespoons of vanilla instant pudding mix in the pumpkin mousse recipe (as described within the recipe card).
The whipped cream on top of the pie will not be as thick as my photos, but it will still be delicious!
While you can freeze the pie leftovers, I don't really recommend freezing the completed pie before serving, as the pumpkin pie texture changes just slightly, and the pie can separate slightly from the crust.
The flavor, however, should not be affected when freezing.
This decadent dessert will surely be the center of attention at your next Thanksgiving feast! I hope you enjoy it, and please let me know what you think! 🙂
Amazing Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pie
- 1 9" or 10" Pumpkin Pie - fully prepared and baked--you can follow this recipe if you'd like to make your own.
Pumpkin Mousse Base Ingredients
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons (128 grams) Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Instant Clearjel or 3 Tablespoons Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix - see Notes section for details
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese - at room temperature
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons (85 grams) Canned Pumpkin Puree - 100% pumpkin
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 3 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- ¾ cup (84 grams) Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Instant Clearjel - optional, see Notes section for details
- 2 ¼ teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
Make the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Mousse Base
- Whisk the powdered sugar, Instant Clearjel (or instant pudding mix), and Cinnamon together. Instant Clearjel should always be whisked thoroughly with dry ingredients before being added to the liquid to avoid clumping.
- With a stand mixer (preferred), handheld mixer, or whisk, beat the softened Cream Cheese until smooth. Slowly add the powdered sugar mixture while the mixer is on low, scraping the sides often until there are no lumps. Add the pumpkin puree and the vanilla extract and beat until light and creamy with no lumps. Set it aside while you make the whipped cream.
Make the Stabilized Whipped Cream
- Whisk the Powdered Sugar and Instant Clearjel (if using) together.
- In a clean bowl, using a whip attachment and a stand mixer (preferred) or handheld mixer, whip the Heavy Cream and Pure Vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Turn the mixer on low, and slowly add in the Powdered Sugar/ Instant Clearjel mixture until incorporated. The Instant Clearjel will thicken the whipped cream instantly, which is why we want to make sure the whipped cream is nicely whipped and fluffy before we add in our thickener. Reserve 260 grams of the whipped cream (that's ⅓ of the whipped cream) for the pumpkin mousse.
Finish the Pumpkin Mousse
- One half at a time, fold the reserved whipped cream into the pumpkin mousse using large, round strokes until no white streaks remain.
Layer the Pumpkin Cream Pie
- Spread the Pumpkin Mousse on top of the cooled prepared pumpkin pie. Gently spread it until it is flat on the pie but domed in the middle--a small offset spatula works well for this. *NOTE* If using a pumpkin pie with a lightweight aluminum pan tin, you may wish to place your pie and tin on a stable plate, tray, or larger ceramic pie pan. The additional creamy layers will add a lot of weight to the pie.*
- Top the pumpkin mousse with the remaining whipped cream. I like to dome it slightly in the center of the pie and apply a fluffy texture with a small offset spatula.
- If desired, top the whipped cream with a cinnamon sprinkle, caramel drizzle, brown sugar sprinkle, and candy pumpkins (place the candy pumpkins right before serving to avoid the color melting into your cream). Refrigerate the cream pie for at least two hours or overnight. Enjoy!
This post originally appeared on Amy's baking blog Amycakes Bakes.
We'd love to hear from you